Date: April 22, 2015
05) MA Today
10) Media Whore
Before you dread the question, “Is Stevie scraping the bottom of the barrel?”…Let me assure you, this album is more of a sideline project. You see…I happened across a reservoir of old music I’d put together…some for specific projects…some I just sat on, and never did anything with…One or two of these tracks, conceivably, I may have even made with MAGIX Music Maker 10…which was the first version I ever purchased a copy of. Most of this content, I had no recollection of encoding a WAV or MP3 copy of…Or if I did, I figured I had lost them somewhere along the line. So, I was quite surprised to find these tracks.
I am referring to Throwback as my 8.5th album, because I didn’t intend for it to exist…and it’s a weak collection, over all…I could have appended these to The Black List [my first album, which I also did not originally intend to make]…but there was enough here, to where I thought it was worth the effort to put it out as a tiny album.
At twelve minutes and five seconds, you breeze through this collection pretty fast. What is here, is a look back at things I was putting together and publishing really early on. I probably had about seventeen or eighteen tracks I’d retrieved…but I whittled it down to mostly the best, with a few decent loops thrown in…These tracks are basically just loops, to be honest…And I should stress, this was really early on…I’d not developed all that far at doing this…So, most of this is “Meh!” type stuff…But it’s an okay part of my musical history.
I wanted this album to be longer, but figured it had enough mediocre loops…and I did not want it to “over stay it’s welcome”…So, I opted to drop several tracks, since what made it in really does adequately represent the tracks that didn’t make it in.
There’s not a lot of greatness here…but I did toss in one genuine gem.
I should forewarn…that I had to “patch” several of these together, so that I’d have a version that plays for more than 15 to 30 seconds…On a few of these tracks, though I tried to get it right [it can be hard], there is a noticeable “something” where one part ends and another picks up…It’s part of the headache, of working with solitary WAV and MP3 files that have been made with obsolete music software…and I cant just import the arrangement files they were made with, to recode from the original source…So, there are a few imperfections here.
01) Veneration – Kind of cool…This reminds me of the unlisted track at the end of Def Leppard’s Pyromania. It’s just something I came up with, while goofing around. Not at all a song.
02) Fluorine – I didn’t bother doing anything with this…I just included it here, as it was. I’ve never made anything like this since.
03) CultureShock-V1 – A fact only ever known by me…”CultureShock V4″ is titled such, because there were three versions which preceded it…and the very first attempt, was something totally different from what originally debuted as “The Culture Shock Podcast” theme…This is the original, never before released version.
04) Curio – Bumper music…but really cool bumper music…You cant possibly not like this.
05) MA Today – I had a YouTube series called “MA Today” [Minor Attraction Today]…Pronounced by it’s proper lettering, “em aye today”…Yes, that was creative wasn’t it?…I could not possibly neglect inclusion of this track here…Plus, it’s not bad.
06) Funky1 – A great piece of bumper music.
07) Cerebrum – I was messing around with a synthesizer on this one…Not amazing, but sounds alright…An early example of my attempts at making original music.
08) Circumflex – I remember making this…That particular synthesizer got taken out of the MAGIX Music Maker suite, I think by the fourteenth release…I kind of miss it, to be honest.
09) Moirai – A nice track…if a bit eerie…I put a bit of work into it.
10) Media Whore – I was going to hold this one back for a later album…but, this is an old piece of music I put together…I think it’s the first thing I ever created, that was honestly really good…In fact, this particular track is kind of awesome. It saves this collection from being more less neutered. I was going to put some vocal recordings to this, but never did…I could easily envision this track going well, with a “rampage” style of rapping.